Let’s talk about Coronavirus

Anguish, doubt, economic debacle, and death. Synonyms of fear. Since the end of December 2019, these are just some of the consequences that COVID-19, also known as coronavirus, have left behind.

In recent days, the World Health Organization, WHO, said the outbreak reached the global pandemic level, and although the emergence of the virus is current so that it can be fully understood, medical organizations around the world are working to clarify facts about the disease. The number of people infected increases every hour, leaving 8,700 people dead and more than 125,000 people infected at the beginning of this week, except in Antarctica.

To contribute to ending some erroneous information disseminated through social networks, Tierra Grata answers some questions that will help us to understand this phenomenon better.

What is coronavirus?

We leave with the question that worries us so much. According to the World Health Organization, WHO, a coronavirus is a group of viruses that can cause everything from a common cold to severe clinical conditions such as those generated by Middle East Coronavirus Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

How did it originate?

Before December last year, the virus already existed and had animals, especially bats, as their regular host. At the end of 2019, an accident occurred in the chain of transmission that brought the virus to humans at a market in Wuhan, China, which sold seafood and meat from wild animals.

How do you get it?

Commonly, the virus spreads through the journey of salivary fluids at a distance of about one meter and touch with infected surfaces.

Who is more likely to contract COVID-19?

People at high risk of contagion are those who have direct contact with animals, relatives of the infected, travelers, people with pre-existing health problems such as asthma or diabetes, and medical staff.

What are the symptoms and how to diagnose it?

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Center for Disease Control and Prevention states that the following symptoms are a cause for alertness:

1. Fever.

2. Cough.

3. Shortness of breath or shortness of breath.

To detect if a person has COVID-19, they should have a blood test or C-reactive protein or PCR test.

How to distinguish whether it is a common cold or coronavirus?

Although the symptoms of the common cold and coronavirus are remarkably similar, if a symptomatic person does not develop improvement within 48 hours, he or she must go to the health center for medical care.

According to the latest WHO data update, 80% of those infected have no symptoms or mild discomfort. The remaining 20% are likely to require medical assistance, but of that percentage, only 5% can become critical or fatal. In addition, more than 83,000 people have recovered from the virus. Preventing increased contagion depends on everyone, #YoMeQuedoEnCasa.

In this link, you can see the evolution of the virus in real-time through the map of the Center for Science and Systems Engineering at Johns University.

Documentary sources:

It dates from the World Health Organization.

Comparte este


Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada.

No te pierdas ninguna novedad

Suscríbete a nuestras noticias y actualizaciones



2019 collection

Let’s face it, no look is really complete without the right finishes. Not to the best of standards, anyway (just tellin’ it like it is, babe). Upgrading your shoe game. Platforms, stilettos, wedges, mules, boots—stretch those legs next time you head out, then rock sliders, sneakers, and flats when it’s time to chill.